Monday, March 14, 2011

Beautiful weather and it's great to be out and about

Saturday was a beautiful day and we took a fantastic walk heading south on the Hudson River Walk.  We went in search of ACA Gallery in Chelsea to see the work of Douglas Safranek, an artist that is a good friend of a good friend of mine. I made contact with him on the recommendation of my friend, Nora, and he directed me to where I can see some of his work and later we will get together and he will show me his studio in Williamsburg, a reportedly hip artsy neighborhood in Brooklyn. He works with egg tempera and produces incredibly finely detailed works which take over a year to create and look like photographs they are so vivid. On the way to the gallery we passed several and one of them featured the work of Edward Tufte, a very well known academician who is famous for his state of the art visual graphing of data. Bob went to a lecture of his given his own interest and expertise in use of visual graphing of data and use of S+, the statistical programming package he's been developing for over 20 years. It was quite an impressive exhibit and kind of fun to have that connection and understanding of this artist's other life. After seeing the paintings at ACA, we kept walking til we got to the West Village where we had a groupon coupon for ZPizza. All their menu choices are organic.  We enjoyed a mediterrean pizza and mixed green pizza. Very tasty, filling, but not overly so.  We then walked over to an artisanal ice cream truck parked up the street to enjoy some locally sourced, small batch, hand made ice cream. We then made our way back up to Chelsea to go to the Whole Foods store there since our preferred Westerly market is still closed for renovations. We had to lug 4 bags of groceries 20 blocks or pay $19 to have them delivered. We could have taken the subway but we decided to see how it went walking and once we got started we just took it on as a challenge. We saw lots of great things on our walk pre-groceries. I was impressed by how much artwork there is along the Hudson River Walk going south. It kind of makes sense since Chelsea is such a haven for art galleries and that's the part of the HRW we mainly walked along.  Pics say 1000 words.
































After being here for over six months, now that we have a new bookcase, I was finally able to unpack my work books and treatment manuals. As I was putting the books on the shelves, I got a bit teary eyed knowing that I am not going to be doing any therapy for quite a while. It's the client and family contact that I miss the most. I certainly don't miss the stress or over busy-ness of my previous work life but I do miss working with the teens and their families. We will see how it goes with the interviews I will be doing for the research study I am involved with now. I got an initial estimate of tuition costs for taking the classes NY state is requiring me to take for my license here. It will be quite expensive and I really need to figure out what the balance will be as to whether to take the classes or not to be licensed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment