Thursday, March 3, 2011

forget about crime or crazy drivers, it's the house dust that will kill me

Just finished several hours of cleaning the apartment. I actually don't mind cleaning it for the most part but the dusting is just going to wear me down to a raw nub of a nerve. I don't know if it just particular to where we live in NYC, or what, but the dust accumulates so fast in the apartment. It actually worries me a bit of how much of it I am breathing in day in and day out. I have no idea where it comes from except I guess for when we have the heater on, because otherwise, we keep the windows closed, we don't use the venting option on our air heating/cooling system and we don't have a pet either.  Maybe I just didn't notice it so much in Seattle because I wasn't home much and we had a housekeeper come in once a month. Plus we had a dog there so maybe I attributed more of it to Daisy that I should have. It seems that as soon as I've finished dusting the place, I can already see dust accumulating again. It's an exasperating process and of all that things that bum me out, it's the thought of having to repeatedly dust everything in the apartment. I think the reason it is so hard to take is that I can plainly understand why the kitchen needs to be cleaned and the bathrooms scrubbed, and the apartment swept and vacuumed, and laundry and dishes washed--we USE all those things, they do something for us and in return I am pretty okay with making sure those things stay in good useful order........but DUST just happens all over things that we don't use in obvious ways. I guess it begrudges me that dust imparts itself on me to repeatedly clean it up when I feel like I haven't gotten any useful return on it. It's just a take take take relationship, very unilateral and I resent it!!!  I dust on a weekly basis when it just gets impossible to ignore it but really it should probably be done at least twice if not three times a week--and that's just the obvious most easily noticed places. God forbid anyone look more closely in other rooms other than the living room and entry way.  As much as we have paired down our belonging from our house in Seattle, we still have a lot of clutter and dust collectors. I am seriously thinking about purchasing one of those standing air filters. Supposedly it removes a lot of the dust from the air. This sounds like I am whining a bit but it's really awful.......it depresses me to think about the sisyphusian nature of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment