Tuesday, September 28, 2010

On becoming a New Yorker

Another new section to the blog as of 9/28/10

Updated 10/13/10  Today I bought my de rigueur New Yorker woman's uniform. A pair of stretch black stirrup pants and a pair of black leggings. Now I can be out on the street like millions of other NYC women with their black covered legs and boots. The look is actually flattering on the majority of women so I see why it's so popular, Anyway, I feel like I'm now able to go out in public and be one with my new people: the WOMEN of NYC.

Updated 10/11/10  It's best I think if one develops a deep (or at least) deeper appreciation of the fine arts or classical style of the arts. The venues for seeing art work, symphony, orchestra, ballet, opera, etc are so magnificent and the talent that performs in NYC is world class. Not a time to say "Not my thing" or "I'm not into that."  Taking it all in is the far better approach.

Updated 10/1/10  I will likely be buying my first pair of high fashion galoshes (rain boots) in preparation for the upcoming weather. Seems you can't be a true New York City woman without them. The choices in all the major shops is astounding and designers have a lot of fun with the patterns and colors. Don't know how bold I will be but it'll be fun shopping for them.

Updated 9/30/10  I suppose if I wanted to be a real New Yorker, I would need to get a pocket pooch as they are called here. NYC is definitely the Land of Very Small Dogs. They are tiny and they are everywhere. It's kind of funny to see big hulking men walking their itsy bitsy chihuahuas. There is the occasional Big Dog that you see now and then and I can't really imagine how people can share their tiny to small apartments with an animal of any normal size.

9/28/10 A recent transplant who thinks after 7 months he is a New Yorker tells me that a Yellow Light at a crosswalk means "you can still go."

I tell a friend from Seattle who just recently went to the new South Lake Union Park how nice that is that Seattle has another park then proceed to tell him about the FABULOUS and WORLD REKNOWN New York Botanical Gardens that we visited earlier in the day. He asks how it compares to the Bellevue Botanical Gardens and I tell him the NYBG makes the BBG looks like someone's backyard. He then tells me, "You're becoming one of the THOSE TYPES of NEW YORKERS." And yes, I am, it's so easy to do when so much of everything here IS world reknown and without comparison to the rest of the country. It's just that way here!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying the posts and looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete